COMPANY OVERVIEW: For more than 30 years Beneficial Insectary has been a leader in the production and application of beneficial organisms used in biological pest control and integrated pest management programs. As more and more people are turning toward sustainable solutions and biological pest control methods, we see a need for more and better information. We’re experiencing significant business growth. That’s where you come in! Some of our employees have worked here for over a decade and made careers for themselves in an industry that was unknown to them before they joined us in entry-level positions. Come find out if your childhood fascination with insects might turn into your own bugtastic career!
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY: With 5 production locations in Redding, Anderson, and Bella Vista, we have a variety of production technician opportunities. The duties listed below are a compilation of the kinds of tasks that are required at one or more of our locations. Come learn how beneficial insects provide relief from chemical pesticides and improve pollination for more sustainable home gardening, horticulture, landscaping, and agricultural applications.
Starting pay: $16 per hour. We are open 7 days a week, so you may be asked to work overtime and weekends on occasion. Fulltime, part-time, and seasonal positions available.
- Modify and prep packaging containers, bags, and boxes
- Adhere labels to packaging by hand or machine
- Customize buckets and totes with mesh sleeves, ventilation, and other modifications
- Work with various life stages of insects, fly control, and mites (products)
- Follow feed recipes by mixing, blending, and transporting to various locations throughout each location
- Wash buckets, tubs, trays, racks, shelves, rearing containers, production cages, harvesting equipment, incubation pots, infestation cages, and other equipment and supplies
- Clean work areas throughout the shift
- Move organisms from location to location per specific life stage requirements
- Use microscope for inspections and quality control
- Follow distinct instructions according to the day/week of organisms’ life
- Follow strict adherence to anti-contamination procedures, including movement of people and equipment
- Record data: inventory, batch forms, daily checks, observations, and actions according to instructions in each location
- Check on greenhouse plants per instructions, move plants, transplant when directed
- Repair wooden trays, build new trays when necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or GED plus college coursework in agriculture, horticulture, pest control management, environmental science, botany, entomology, or related field, or a combination of education and experience
- 1+ year(s) work experience in agriculture, horticulture, entomology, landscaping, gardening, beekeeping, biological pest control, ranch work, or related field
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with agricultural products and processes
- Familiarity with integrated pest management, beneficial organisms
- Working knowledge of teamwork and collaboration
- Comprehensive reading and legible writing skills to manually record data
- Basic arithmetic skills; analytical skills for some positions
- Ability to track procedures according to calendars and schedules
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, recipes, and procedures
- Ability to follow safety rules
- Ability to effectively use a microscope for some positions
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, team leaders, and management
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (with or without accommodations):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be reasonably met
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Stand, walk, bend, kneel, crouch, reach overhead, grasp, push, and pull
- Move, lift, and/or carry up to 20 pounds to shoulder height
- Walking or standing for up to 3 hours at a time
- Vision, hearing, and speaking necessary to perform job duties
The work environment characteristics are representative of those in a laboratory, business office, ranch, greenhouse, farm, light industrial, or other outdoor setting.
- Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments
- Work may be performed in or near a variety of soil types, feed ingredients, strong odors, changing temperatures, and direct contact with beneficial insects
- May be required to work outside of normal workdays and hours to meet operational deadlines
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All employees will receive consideration for fulfilling the essential functions of this job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.